During pregnancy a woman’s body undergoes many changes, some of them stressful and uncomfortable. Massage is a perfect way to reduce stress and promote general wellbeing.
For instance, massage
- Relieves many of the normal discomforts during pregnancy such as backaches, a stiff neck, leg cramps, headaches, oedema and sore, swollen ankles and feet.
- Increases local and general blood circulation, which brings more oxygen and nutrients to the cells of both the mother and foetus.
- Helps the mother’s body to eliminate waste products through the lymphatic and circulatory systems which combats fatigue.
- Helps to soothe and relax nervous tension, which helps the mother sleep more easily and more deeply.
- Can be used during the birth to make it easier and more comfortable for the mother.
- Is equally valuable after the birth to help a mother regain her strength more quickly and ease postpartum stress.
At Oxenford Mind and body we recommend that massage therapy begin as early as possible in the pregnancy in order to get maximum benefit.